James H. “Bo” Routh
Bo Routh is a founding partner of Scanes & Routh, LLP. He is an experienced real estate lawyer. He represents clients in a broad range of complex real estate transactions, involving acquisition, development, finance, leasing, and disposition of commercial, farm and ranch, and residential real property. In 2000, Bo became one of the youngest attorneys then board certified in Texas. He is board certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in commercial real estate law, farm and ranch real estate law, and residential real estate law.
Bo also represents water utilities and landowners in connection with water law issues, water utility regulation, water rights and permitting, and water transactions (surface water and groundwater). In addition, Bo represents clients in a broad range of real estate and business litigation matters, including breach of contract cases, title and boundary disputes, easement disputes, and landlord/tenant cases.
Represent developers of some of the most significant commercial real estate developments in Central Texas.
Represent numerous significant real estate investors with Texas holdings.
Represented regional restaurant chain in acquiring locations throughout Texas.
Represented commercial property owners in loan transactions, each in excess of $50 million, secured by Texas properties.
Represent numerous farmers, ranchers, recreational buyers, and investors in the acquisition, sale, or exchange of farm and ranch property throughout Texas.
Represent water supply corporations and investor owned water utilities as outside general counsel.
Represent commercial contractors and residential contractors as outside general counsel.
Represent property owners in trespass to try title cases, easement disputes, boundary disputes, and partition matters.
Successfully represented major health care system in a lawsuit against real estate developers involving breach of contract and violations of restrictive covenants.
Successfully represented property owners in a lawsuit against the developers of a significant residential development in a flood plain.
Represented regional banks and mortgage lenders in acquiring branch locations, preparing real estate loan documents, reviewing contracts, litigation matters, and acting as outside general counsel.
- Commercial Real Estate
- Farm and Ranch Real Estate
- Water Law
- Real Estate Litigation
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas (J.D. 1996)
- Honors: summa cum laude (highest ranking graduate)
- Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California (B.S. Political Science, 1992)
- Honors: cum laude
- Commercial Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Farm and Ranch Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Residential Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- State Bar of Texas, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 2006
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Real Estate Probate and Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas, 1996 – present
- Waco-McLennan County Bar Association, 1996 – present
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Harris Creek Baptist Church, Waco, Texas
-Served as an Elder, Deacon, and Life Group Leader
- Midway Little League, Manager and Coach (2007-2013)
- American Red Cross, Heart of Texas Area Chapter, Board of Directors, 1997-2003
- Waco Crime Stoppers, Board Member (1998 – 2005), Chairman of the Board (2003)