Mike Scanes is senior partner and co-founder of Scanes & Routh, LLP. He is known as a fearless and diligent trial lawyer, and he has over 35 years of experience in helping clients through difficult situations.
Mike has worked a wide variety of civil cases, including complex business and commercial disputes, challenging employment cases, and wrongful death and personal injury cases. He is always prepared for a challenge, because he is passionate about helping clients.
Mike is board certified in both personal injury trial law and civil trial law, and he has been recognized for several years as a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly magazine.
Mike has represented hundreds of clients in personal injury cases, including claims of wrongful death, catastrophic personal injury, and sexual assault.
Business and Commercial
Mike has represented hundreds of clients in business and commercial disputes, such as company and partnership splits or breakups; disputes between manufacturers and distributors; and cases involving breach of contract, tortious interference, fraud, or the illegal taking or using of trade secrets and proprietary information, etc.
Mike has represented numerous employees in employment disputes and wrongful termination cases. He has also represented employers in similar cases.
Real Estate Litigation
Mike has represented many clients in real estate litigation matters, including claims of breach of contract, fraud, sale and lease disputes, and title and boundary disputes.
Wills & Trusts
Mike has represented numerous clients in will contests, trust disputes, and disputes between the heirs and/or beneficiaries of estates.
- Business Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Probate Litigation
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas (J.D. 1983)
- Honors: cum laude; Baylor Law Review, 1982-83
- University of Toledo, Toledo, OH (Bachelor of Education, 1976)
- Honors: cum laude
- Civil Trial Law
- Personal Injury Trial Law
- State Bar of Texas, 1983
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Texas, 1992
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Texas, 1999
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Texas, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2017
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
Professional Activities and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Waco-McLennan County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyer (Top 5% of the Texas Bar as selected by peers), Texas Monthly Magazine, 2003, 2004, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Coaches Outreach, Bible Study Leader (2005 – Present)
- Generations Adoption, Board Member (2007 – 2018)
- Lorena Independent School District, Board Member (1997-2003)
- Sunday School Teacher in various churches (over 20 years)
- Heart of Texas Goodwill, Prior Board Member (3 years)
- Waco Crime Stoppers, Prior Board Member (3 years)
- Lorena Little League, Former Manager and Coach (3 years)
- Woodway Family Center, Former Youth Basketball Coach (7 years)
- Heart of Texas Soccer, Former Youth Soccer Coach (6 years)
- Heart of Texas Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Prior Board Member (6 years)
- McLennan County Legal Aid, Prior Board Member (2 years)